"Thanks again for the great ski mountaineering trip on Mt. Sneffels. It will forever be on my list of top ski memories."
Mt. Sneffels Ski Descent May 2013
Premier Colorado Ski Mountaineering Venue
The rugged terrain of the Northern San Juans is a premier venue for ski mountaineering in Colorado. We capitalize on this vast repository of steep couloirs and jagged peaks to bring you four education-filled, challenging, and rewarding days of instruction and descents in the heart of Colorado ski mountaineering country. The course culminates with a ski descent of the highly regarded Mt. Sneffels (14,150'), a centerpiece achievement for any ski mountaineer.
Taught By Highly Qualified Guides
Our instructors have high credentials to ensure you are learning proven techniques for ski and snowboard mountaineering. Our guides have training as ski guides from the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) and they have years of ski mountaineering experience in wild places like the Cascades in Washington, the Chugach in Alaska, and the Rockies in Colorado. We have helped many skiers and snowboarders build their skills for a lifetime of rewarding ski mountaineering.
Small Group Size
This course is limited to just three participants so each student can receive personalized coaching and feedback from the guide. The small group size also allows for safe and efficient travel in technical terrain.
Learn Skills To Become A Ski or Snowboard Mountaineer
We commonly teach the following skills in the context of some incredible ski mountaineering tours and peak descents:
- Tour planning and terrain selection
- Map, compass, & GPS navigation
- Tracksetting for safety, efficiency, and observations
- Crevasse rescue systems and techniques
- Use of ski crampons, ice axe, and boot crampons
- Construction of THINX ski anchors
- Lowering and rappelling for access to steep terrain
- Steep skiing and snowboarding techniques
- Advanced snowpack stability assessment through layer identification, understanding of spatial variability, and understanding direct and indirect weather effects
*Peak Mountain Guides Colorado Backcountry Skiing programs are located on the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forests under priority use permit from the Forest Service, USDA. Peak Mountain Guides is an equal opportunity service provider.*